Friday, August 5, 2011

Old Makeup.... When exactly is it time to throw it away?


Many people, myself included, keep using their makeup long after the expiration date. I've still got a creme eye shadow and 2 lip gloss's from the 90s... that' I still use! They don't give me any eye or skin irritations, so I figured... hey, if it does me no harm, why not use em'? I'm just one of those people who can't ever throw anything out... especially when they find something that they love. I've also got the habit of buying in bulk... so any makeup I buy, I'll usually have for a good 5+ years. As long as you don't open them, they should stay fresh.
So how long exactly is the 'average' life of your favorite makeup products? Let's find out.


Experts say....
Lipstick: 1 - 3 years
Lip gloss/chapstick: 2 years
Eye shadow (Powder): 2 years
Eye shadow (Creme/Cream): 12 - 18 months

Eyeliner: 3 - 6 months
Mascara: 3 - 6 months
Blush (Powder): 2 years
Blush (Creme/Cream): 6 - 8 months
Oil-Free Foundations: 12 - 16 months
Creme/Cream Foundations: 18 months
Powder Foundation: 2 years
Concealer: 12 - 18 months
Lotions: 2 years

When it comes to mascara's, it's not as much 'safety' reasons, as it dries out in that time period.

In all reality though, if you feel that your makeup is still safe and usable, go ahead and keep using it. If your makeup outlasts the recommended 'life', the best way to tell if it's gone bad is do a 'smell test'. If it starts smelly wonky, throw it out immediately. Sometimes, they can go bad before the expiration date... so I'd do a smell test about 6 months after you purchase it to be safe.

Here's a couple photos of the makeup I still have from the 90s. lol I should probably throw these out... but I think I'll wait until I can find me some good dupes.
(that's nail polish on the one container. I dropped my bag a few years back, and the nail polish shattered, getting everywhere)


Does anyone know what some good dupes for these ^^ colors? I'm having a heck of a time finding one. :/
The only one I can find that's similar is the Rubenesque paint pot by MAC, but it's a bit pricey.

No comments:

Post a Comment